Saturday, December 18, 2010

Oh Jesus, another critic.

So, hopefully within the next few days, I will have officially kicked off this thing with a review or two. Why venture into the already heavily broached territory of music critique?

1. Everyone does it, but very few do it well.

    We all decide what we like and what we think of things. But it's that whole critical listening thing that just astounds me. I've read some really bad reviews (search pitchfork for a while, and you may see what I mean) where people approach music with the idea that there is a right answer, and my right is better than yours. I hopefully wont fall into that circle, and I sure as hell won't implement a point system. If I do, it'll end up like 'Who's Line is it Anyway?', where the points don't matter and no one really cares.

2. I need a hobby.

    Some of this just comes out of sheer boredom. Without something besides work to do, I have to have an outlet. And there's only so much 'Call of Duty' you can play in one day without getting hand cramps.

3. Some people need to hear what people think about their music.

    Doing that whole musician thing, it's nice to have someone say something honest about what they hear. The people I always got feedback from seemed to have ulterior motives; e.g. family, girlfriends, paid fans, and so forth. Sometimes it's nice to hear that a song doesn't work, or things don't flow together. Having an epiphany that something doesn't work sure as hell beats spending 2 years in a band where you blow a lot of money and don't get anywhere.

4. Rutabagas

    Enough said.

So, expect something later today or tomorrow. Otherwise, if you're reading this, forward it to someone who might send something in for me to listen to and say something about. If I don't get content, I cant make content. And that ends up being boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment